ELLE Is For You
- Sole owners and decision makers of businesses in agriculture and agri-food, including grains and livestock, dairy, poultry, horticulture, value added food production, agri-tourism, equine enterprises
- Those who are working in the family business or are partners with a family member, or other in an agriculture or agri-food business
- “Unsung heroes” – those who play supportive roles in the business, but do not have a formal title or role
The only prerequisite for ELLE is that you want to learn.
Sole owners of businesses in agriculture and agri-food, including value added food production, agri-tourism, equine stables
Those who are partners with a spouse, brother, father, or other in an agriculture or agri-food business
“Unsung heroes” – those who play supportive roles in the business, but with no formal title or role
What You'll Learn
ELLE is a flexible hybrid program that includes three approaches for learning & networking.
1) In-Class Instruction
Cohort learning in regional locations* with interactive virtual presenters
- Jan-April and Oct-Dec – 2 days per month except April and November with one day only in those two months.
Each day will be 5 – 5.5 hours long.
- Presentations will be recorded in a video library accessible to all participants to review. Participants will have access to presentation recordings from both Streams.
2) Virtual Café Chats
Every other month for 1 hour starting in February
- Topics to be discussed will be driven by participant input. These are open to both streams to interact and connect with women across Canada to talk and learn from each other.
3) Optional Virtual Peer Group (Master Class)
2 virtual meetings/group over the calendar year
- ELLE provides an additional opportunity for those interested to take their learning to the next level. Peer groups are great tools to facilitate in-depth discussions between peers that provide insight, feedback, as well as provide support and encourage accountability. They can help you identify blind spots in your business, access new resources, and be a sounding board for new ideas, as well as learn from the success and challenges of others.
Additional Program Resource
An E-Workbook will be provided to work through on your own as you progress through the program or with family or business partners along with the session recordings.
ELLE programming is developed around the various roles women play in agriculture and agri-food businesses. There are two different class streams to self-select from, depending on business experience and existing skills. Some classes will be taught to both streams concurrently where possible, to encourage interaction among all participants. All class recordings from both streams will be available online so you can view of any of the lessons that you are interested in.
Designed for new entrants -
up to 5 years experience
Designed for women with more than 5 years experience
*If COVID restrictions prevent in person learning, the full program will be offered online.
- Regional cohort face-to-face delivery provides local locations, removing barriers by minimizing travel and time away.
- This program is specific to the agriculture, value added and agri-food industry.
- Learn regionally with access to a national network. Expand your network and understand both what’s going on locally and nationally to make your learning more widespread.
- Become a part of a valuable network of Canadian women with diverse skills and experience.
- Learn in an environment that is supportive and built around community. Grow your technical skills to build your business, and develop the confidence to make decisions.
- ELLE is program that will provide women the opportunity for growth within a supportive community where they will be able to talk about shared issues and challenges, realizing the value of that collective struggle.
- A comprehensive program delivered in the realm of work, life, family, self. It’s meeting the women where they’re at in their experience and designed to create opportunities for those women in agriculture, value added and agri-food businesses.
- Opportunity to develop skills from a holistic perspective.
Our instructors are respected leaders in their fields to help you learn both theory and practical lessons in a supportive environment.
ELLE as the foundation for a research product conducted by WEKH
This ELLE program is part of a research project conducted under the banner of the Women Entrepreneurship Knowledge Hub (WEKH) Alberta hub, represented by Mount Royal University (MRU), and led by Dr. Amanda Williams from the Faculty of Business and Communication Studies.
The proposed study will deploy mixed methods (surveys & conducting qualitative interviews) as part of a wider case study approach. Three research questions will be examined:
1) What is the value of a cohort-based program designed to improve the leadership capacity for women in the agriculture and agri-food industry?
2) How are participants building social, human and financial capital via professional development?
3) What learnings from the ELLE project are transferable
Registration is now closed.
January - December 2022
$2499 (+applicable tax) for Instructional Classes and Virtual Cafe Chats
$495 (+applicable tax) for Peer Group Add-on
Download Full Program Guide